A few things about the extraordinary vulnerability of being a parent who is poor:
- You can’t afford to lose your temper. (You could lose everything).
- You can’t afford to unwind by sharing your problems with someone.
- You can’t afford to be tired and stressed and making less than perfect decisions.
- You can’t afford to cobble together solutions; for your own protection cobbled together solutions are illegal.
- You can’t afford to take time off work to deal with your kid, who is now stressed and tired and making not so great decisions, too.
- You can’t afford to pay fines, even ‘reasonable’ ones – so you end up being imprisoned.