1. Go to a lake.
2. Put down the towels, shoes and clothes and explain to the children how to swim safely here.
3. Have a beer with your friend.
4. Then, swim to one side of the lake and back together.
5. Out in the deep lay your heads on boogie boards and let your legs drop, your eyes lock.
6. By the time you are ready to swim back to the shore all your secrets will be divulged.
7. The older children will follow you across the lake. Old enough to want to know your secrets. But not old enough to swim as fast as you and your friend.
Cormac (age 6), swims alongside me in the lake one evening after I have come home from work. We are having a quick swim before dinner to cool off. The lake, which is very, very deep is darker than ever with only a slither of a moon above us. He says, “look how sharp the moon is.”